BIOGRAPHY AND PROGRAM
OF THE CANDIDATE FOR PRESIDENT OF THE
REPUBLIC OF UZBEKISTAN
MAQSUDA AZIZOVNA VARISOVA
Maqsuda Azizovna Varisova was born in 1961 in the city of Tashkent. Received higher education. In 1984, she graduated from Tashkent State Medical Institute. Doctor by profession. Married. Has three children.
In 2018, Mrs. Maqsuda Varisova was awarded the 1st Degree Order “Sog’lom Avlod Uchun” (“For a Healthy Generation”).
Mrs. Varisova began her career in 1984 as a doctor in the Clinic of Tashkent State Medical Institute. She worked as a doctor-therapist at the rural medical center “Nazarbek” in Zangiota district of Tashkent region, from 2003 as the Director of the rural family clinic “Nazarbek”. In 2018, she was elected Deputy Chairman of the Central Council of the People’s Democratic Party of Uzbekistan.
In 2009-2014, she was a deputy of Zangiota District Council of People’s Deputies, in 2015-2019 a deputy of Tashkent Regional Council of People’s Deputies, and a member of the Senate of the Oliy Majlis of the Republic of Uzbekistan. She actively participated in the political, socio-economic development of the country, the implementation of democratic reforms, the adoption of legislative acts that serve to strengthen the protection of the interests of people.
In 2019, she was elected Deputy of the Legislative Chamber of the Oliy Majlis. Mrs. Varisova has been working as Deputy Chairman of the Committee on Public Health, as well as the Chairman of the Family and Women’s Commission of the lower house of the Parliament.
Maqsuda Varisova has shown herself as an organizer with high potential theoretical and practical experience. She has been active and dedicated in the process of reforming the healthcare system of the country, finding solutions to the problems of the population.
During her many years of parliamentary and senatorial activity, Mrs. Varisova has accumulated vast experience in public and social administration, domestic and foreign policy, law and social protection, cares about people, is a tolerant and determined politician with extensive experience.
The program is based on the priorities of the People’s Democratic Party of Uzbekistan. The main goal of the program is the formation in the country a state and a society that meets the criteria of social equality and people’s democracy.
The solution to this problem, firstly, provides for ensuring the welfare of the general population. Every family should have an income level sufficient to meet basic living needs, including the provision of comfortable housing, an uninterrupted supply of energy, natural gas and drinking water, quality food, modern education and qualified medical care.
Secondly, the formation of such a state means affirmation in all spheres of social justice and social equality. This, in turn, necessitates not only equality in rights, but also the creation of equal opportunities for all in implementing these rights, regardless of social, property status and income level.
Thirdly, it is a democracy, which ensures the participation of citizens through democratic institutions in the preparation, public examination and public discussion of draft legislative acts affecting the social well-being of the population and the realization of its necessary vital needs.
To achieve the main goal, the following priority directions for solving social, economic and political problems are proposed.
Implementation of a strong social policy in the interests of the population
In the interests of the population, we are in favor of a strong social policy. For these purposes, we consider it necessary to carry out the following:
- introduction of a differentiated taxation system depending on the income of the population;
- free receipt by each person of the minimum social services, which are guaranteed at the legislative level;
- providing the able-bodied population with stable workplaces with wages exceeding the amount of social benefits, stimulating their initiative and enterprise;
- implementation of “Rural Doctor” and “Rural Teacher” programs to meet the needs of doctors and teachers in remote and hard-to-reach areas, legislative consolidation of the system of their material and moral incentives;
- providing the population with quality food, affordable goods and services of daily demand, affordable housing and public services;
- provision of free high-quality and full-fledged primary healthcare to low-income strata of the population;
- strengthening guarantees for young people in matters of choosing a profession, obtaining free high-quality education and employment after graduation;
- formation of an optimal system of pension and social security, which guarantees the satisfaction of the vital needs of recipients of pensions and social benefits.
To this end, we consider it necessary to take all measures to ensure that at the legislative level and practically the state guarantees each person free access to the necessary social services.
This will make it possible, first of all, to create guarantees for those in need of social protection for the realization of basic constitutional rights (to education, healthcare and medical care, to housing, to social security, to participate in cultural life, to receive qualified legal assistance).
We consider it necessary to achieve full coverage of all those in need with social protection measures.
For these purposes, it is necessary to:
- improve the standard of living of pensioners, increase their social activity;
- involve low-income, but dependent citizens in active participation in the life of society;
- increase attention to the vital needs of lonely elderly citizens, children left without parental care, people with disabilities in need of outside care, further improve the activities of the houses “Muruvvat”, “Sakhovat” and “Mekhribonlik” for this purpose;
- introduce effective mechanisms for providing housing and employment for graduates of “Mekhribonlik” houses;
- widely develop the practice of providing social services to the population, based on public-private and social partnership proceeding from the experience of developed countries.
It is also necessary to take the following measures to ensure the needs, legal rights and interests of persons with disabilities, to radically improve the activities of this sphere, taking into account the best foreign experience:
- to bring national legislation in line with the norms and principles of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities;
- to implement international norms and standards concerning persons with disabilities into national legislation;
- take necessary measures to implement in our country the UN World Programme of Action concerning persons with disabilities;
- to provide state subsidies to societies of people with disabilities.
Socially oriented economic policy – the foundation of a strong social policy
We consider the following tasks to be a priority in ensuring the social efficiency of economic policy:
- implementation of effective steps to overcome the poverty of the population to reduce the proportion of low-income strata of the population, in the medium term, at least 2 times;
- the use of effective financial and tax incentives for the advanced development of productive sectors of the economy based on innovative advanced technologies, with special attention to sectors with high added value and labor-intensive sectors;
- achievement in the medium term of employment of the able-bodied population in stable workplaces with wages (income from self-employment and private entrepreneurship) not less than 1.5 times higher than the subsistence minimum.
We consider it necessary to further strengthen the regulatory role of the state in a socially-oriented economy. This requires:
- strengthening the participation of the state in the management of sectors of the economy that are of national importance;
- legislative consolidation of the subsistence minimum based on the cost of the consumer basket, sufficient to meet the primary vital needs of each person;
- legislative consolidation of measures of state regulation in the sphere of food production and other consumer goods;
- the equal and fair distribution of state revenues for the sustainable development of territories, mobilization of additional financial resources from the state budget, other internal and external sources for the implementation of territorial programs;
- creation of special regional and city investment funds for the development of import-substituting production by directing part of the proceeds from customs payments for the import of imported goods into the respective territories to local budgets;
- introduction into practice of mechanisms of “industrial mortgage” by creating ready-made enterprises at the expense of investment resources of commercial banks with the subsequent sale on credit or leasing to business entities;
- provision of soft loans for the implementation of sound business projects for the production of import-substituting socially significant goods and services.
In our opinion, the saturation of the domestic market with domestically produced goods with high added value is one of the key factors in ensuring sustainable economic development.
At the level of local authorities, it is necessary to form and approve medium-term territorial programs for the production of vital and safe food and essential goods.
It is necessary to bring these programs in line with government orders for job creation in the regions and training programs for specialists with secondary specialized and higher education.
In addition, in programs of territorial development, along with the growth of local industry, the main attention should be paid to improving the efficiency of growing agricultural products, efficient use of land and water resources. In this case, it is necessary to:
- create sustainable and efficient food production systems based on the introduction of agricultural practices that increase the productivity of agricultural production;
- increase the investment in the development of rural infrastructure, agricultural research and technology;
- develop cooperation between agricultural producers and processing enterprises.
The following goals will be achieved based on the solution of these tasks:
- saturation of the domestic market with affordable food products and socially significant goods, preventing a sharp rise in prices for these goods and services;
- creation of stable and highly paid jobs at enterprises for the production and processing of agricultural products;
- increasing the efficiency of employment of the population, especially youth.
We believe that economic liberalization and free-market relations do not guarantee the achievement of the goals of social development of society. In this regard, it is necessary to form a system of the democratic state and social regulation and control over economic development. For this, it is proposed to:
- widely introduce the mechanisms of social dialogue and democratic public control on the implementation of structural reforms in the economy and introduce new technologies so that these processes are accompanied by an increase in the level of employment of the population in stable high-paying jobs and ensure an appropriate level of safety and health at work and environmental cleanliness of production;
- create an effective system of public control over external government debt and investments, ensure the protection of public interests in investment policy.
III. Ensuring social accessibility of high-quality food and consumer goods
To ensure that prices and tariffs for socially significant goods and services do not exceed the norms established by regulatory documents, it is necessary to establish strict state and public control over the formation of these prices.
To this end, the following measures must be taken:
- legislative consolidation, taking into account progressive foreign experience, as well as relevant recommendations and norms of universal international documents, mechanisms of state regulation in the field of production;
- development and implementation into the practice of targeted state programs to provide low-income strata of the population with affordable and high-quality foodstuffs necessary for life;
- orientation of the branches of industrial and agricultural production towards saturation of the domestic consumer market with food and everyday goods of domestic production;
- implementation of flexible measures of tax and customs regulation in the field of import of food products and other goods of daily need, for the production of which there are no resources and conditions in the country.
In addition, based on the experience of developed countries of the world, it is necessary to promote the development of charitable activities for creating networks of social stores selling food and everyday goods at affordable prices to low-income families and other segments of the population in need of social protection.
Ensuring social accessibility of housing and communal services
We intend to strive for further expansion of the construction of affordable housing for those in need of social protection of the population, including people with disabilities, parents raising children with disabilities, women in difficult social situations.
To resolve this issue, it is necessary to:
- stimulate domestic production of building materials and structures based on modern innovative technologies;
- improve the practice of preferential mortgage lending for the construction of affordable housing for the population in need of social protection.
- develop a draft and adopt the Law of the Republic of Uzbekistan “On the basics of regulation of tariffs for communal services”;
- implement territorial investment programs in the medium term, including programs implemented locally in the form of public-private partnership, to provide the population in cities and rural areas with affordable electricity, heat and hot water;
- ensure information transparency and strengthen public control over tariffs in the housing and communal sector to prevent their unreasonable overestimation by organizations providing communal services;
- ensure in the medium term the expansion of green areas, recreation parks, playgrounds for children in cities and towns, with the creation of the necessary conditions for the recreation of persons with disabilities.
Provision of high-quality and comprehensive medical care for all segments of the population
We believe that the priority areas for improving the quality of primary healthcare, especially in the development of a network of qualified primary healthcare for low-income groups of the population are:
- legislative consolidation of the list of mandatory medical services and medicines guaranteed by the state, provided free of charge in all medical institutions, regardless of the form of ownership and sources of their funding;
- organization of annual free medical examination of the population with the use of high-tech medical services, including low-income families, persons with disabilities, and other vulnerable socio-demographic groups;
- improving the system of free provision of certain categories of the population, including pensioners, persons with disabilities with medicines, prosthetics and other medical and social assistance;
- development of a draft and adoption of the Law “On the state regulation of prices for medicines and medical products”.
Ensuring equal access for young people to quality education
It is necessary to implement the following measures to ensure equal opportunities for all segments of the population to receive quality preschool, secondary, vocational and higher education:
- ensuring full coverage of free compulsory preparation of children at the age of 6 for primary education, opening preschool education institutions in every locality;
- guaranteed provision of schoolchildren and children with a balanced healthy diet in schools and preschool education institutions;
- legislative consolidation and practical implementation of modern mechanisms for regulating free higher education. Including, the establishment of the amount of scholarships, depending on the progress of students and their participation in innovative activities, at a level sufficient to meet their vital needs and providing all students in need of this with comfortable living conditions in hostels;
- state support for the education of gifted children from low-income families;
- further development in remote rural settlements of a network of cultural institutions and sports facilities, “Barkamol Avlod” centers, schools of music and art for children;
- expanding support for children with disabilities, ensuring equal opportunities for them in the spiritual and educational sphere. Development of inclusive education, including the publication and purchase of special literature, including those based on the Braille alphabet with sound accompaniment, and the provision of benefits to teachers working in this sphere.
VII. People’s Democracy and Social Equality
We support the formation of a system of people’s democracy in the country. This means ensuring participation in state, public life, the judicial and legal system based on equality for everyone, including for those in need of social protection of the population.
At the same time, it is necessary to support and encourage active participation in the social, economic and political life of all people, regardless of their age, gender, disability, nationality, religion and social origin.
To this end, we consider it necessary to achieve:
- elimination of social inequality within the country;
- legislative consolidation of the obligation to conduct public discussion and public examination of draft normative legal acts on issues related to meeting the vital needs of the population;
- introduction of a mechanism for public consultations with parliamentary factions of political parties and party groups in the Councils of people’s deputies before making decisions by the executive authorities on issues affecting the most important aspects of the country’s socio-economic life, affecting the satisfaction of social interests and vital needs of the population and causing special public interest;
- creating the necessary conditions for the free participation of the population in need of social protection in the discussion of draft laws and other normative legal acts;
- expanding the direct participation of civil society institutions in public administration.
The priority areas of reforming the judicial and legal sphere are ensuring the availability of judicial mechanisms for protecting the rights of citizens, further strengthening the rule of law, and strict observance of the principle of equality of the rights, duties and opportunities.
For this, it is necessary to:
- ensure the full participation of citizens in the administration of justice as people’s assessors in courts;
- develop the activities of voluntary formations “Khalq Posbonlari” to ensure the peace of citizens and public safety;
- ensure the full and unconditional implementation in practice of the norms and rules established by anti-discrimination legislation, especially concerning the population in need of social protection;
- ensure the social accessibility of the legal profession and legal services to protect low-income citizens whose rights have been violated;
- create a socially accessible system of rendering legal assistance and services to the population in need of social protection, develop a network of “legal clinics” providing them with free consultations;
- further increase the efficiency of work to improve the legal culture of the population, create a system of legal advice based on civil society institutions. Including, conducting consultations on social issues that are raised in appeals of the population in need of social protection, sent to state and representative bodies.
VIII. Development of civil society and ensuring social stability
We support the further development of a free civil society in the country and believe that this requires:
- development of the mahalla system as the most effective and fair form of solving the problems of the population, ensuring its full participation in solving administrative, social, environmental, cultural and other problems;
- expanding the participation of civil society institutions in a transparent and constructive discussion of the adopted laws and legislative acts, the results of the activities of government bodies;
- taking concrete measures to further enhance the rights and powers of political parties, their deputy associations in matters of influencing the solution of urgent economic and social problems;
- broad development of the practice of social and public-private partnership between government bodies and civil society institutions;
- increasing the level of direct participation of civil society institutions and citizens in public control, public administration and implementation of social projects.
The state youth policy should serve to ensure the active participation of young people in the political life of the country. It is necessary to allow talented youth to work in the system of political parties and other civil society institutions.
We consider it necessary to introduce modern methods of “social diagnostics” into the activities of state bodies, which allow early identification of problems that affect the social mood of the population and ensure their effective solution. Based on the results of “social diagnostics”, it is necessary to promptly make appropriate decisions and strictly implement them.
We are supporters of a proactive international policy aimed at strengthening the international status of Uzbekistan, actively developing cooperation and partnership with other countries based on mutual interest and equality, developing relations with the countries of the Commonwealth of Independent States based on the principles of good neighborliness, ensuring regional security and stability.
We believe that in this direction it is necessary to pay special attention to the implementation of the following tasks:
- consideration of issues of Uzbekistan’s accession to international documents in the field of human rights. Strengthening cooperation with international and regional organizations and foreign countries on human rights issues, including conduction of regular dialogues on human rights;
- strengthening of mutually interested relations with international partners on the implementation of the UN Sustainable Development Goals and observance of human rights;
- strengthening cooperation with the countries of the Commonwealth of Independent States to jointly implement innovative programs and projects in the field of regional sustainable social development, alternative energy and modern medicine;
- further development of international cooperation in the sphere of external labor migration to protect the interests and rights of citizens of the country working abroad. Implementation on this basis of a policy of a regulated, safe and controlled labor migration policy.
We propose the following socio-political mechanisms to effectively implement foreign policy tasks:
- development of institutions of inter-parliamentary relations;
- application of the “people’s diplomacy” methods in international relations in the humanitarian sphere, in the field of culture, art, science, sports and tourism, in the development of relations of non-governmental organizations and inter-party relations;
- active use of international information resources to strengthen the international authority of the country, broad promotion of its investment attractiveness.
Our slogans during the election period:
Caring for everyone is the duty of the state!
People’s democracy is a factor of progress!
Social stability is the key to prosperity!
We are for social equality and justice!
Jobs for the unemployed!
Free education, free healthcare!
Economic resources for all!
Let’s end poverty!